Where’s Wally? (and everybody else for that matter)
Ever wonder where your friends have been hanging out (or hiding out) for the past year? Or do want to know what the most happening places for 2013 were? Lucky for us we don’t have to look any further since Facebook has the answer.
Just recently, Facebook has released the top 25 locations that were most checked-in on Facebook this year – with four of these locations being Disneyland theme parks around the world (hurray for childhood!).
While it was no surprise that other spots that made it to this list were predictable, popular tourist attractions, the most popular Facebook check-in locations in some countries are not their most popular tourist attractions.
Take for example the Golden Temple in India. The spiritual home of the Sikhs was at top spot, ahead of the Taj Mahal. The top spot for Russia went not to Red Square but Gorky Park.
Germany’s top spot may be quite interesting – Reeperbahn, Hamburg’s seedy red-light district. Now before you raise your eyebrows of righteousness, Reeperbahn is where The Beatles spent two crucial years playing at clubs in the area before they rose to fame. Fans from across the universe (the world rather) flock to the Beatles-Platz, a famous intersection in Reeperbahn, to visit the streets where the legendary musicians walked. Now whether the Fab Four did or did not “enjoy” the area – I really don’t know.
See the entire list below:
Top Check-Ins Around the World
- Argentina: Puerto Madero, Buenos Aires
- Australia: Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), East Melbourne, Victoria
- Brazil: Parque Ibirapuera, São Paulo
- Canada: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Egypt: Sharm el-Sheikh, South Sinai Governorate, Egypt
- France: Disneyland Paris, Marne La Vallée
- Germany: Reeperbahn, Hamburg
- Hong Kong: 香港迪士尼樂園| Hong Kong Disneyland
- Iceland: Blue Lagoon, Reykjavík, Iceland
- India: Harmandir Sahib (The Golden Temple)
- Italy: Piazza San Marco, Venice
- Japan: 東京ディズニーランド(Tokyo Disneyland), Tokyo
- Mexico: Auditorio Nacional, Mexico City
- Nigeria: Ikeja City Mall, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
- Poland: Temat Rzeka, Warsaw
- Russia: Центральный парк культуры и отдыха им. Горького | Gorky Park of Culture and Leisure
- Singapore: Marina Bay Sands
- South Africa: Victoria & Alfred Waterfront
- South Korea: Myungdong Street, Seoul
- Spain: Las Ramblas, Barcelona, Catalonia
- Sweden: Friends Arena, Solna
- Taiwan: 花園夜市Tainan Flower Night Market, Tainan City
- Turkey: Taksim Square, Istanbul
- United Kingdom: The 02, London
- United States: Disneyland, Anaheim, California
So for 2014 – I bid Happy Trails everyone and don’t forget to check-in!